Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting piggy in Iowa

Iowa is known for pig production, but here is a variant on the topic received from Tammy Peterson, Quality Assurance/Lean Coordinator, St. Luke's Laboratory in Cedar Rapids after reading my last post about the Lean pig exercise:

I went to a Lean seminar last year where the pig exercise was used.  This year I was part of a group at my hospital training in adaptive design, and I used the pig exercise to show the benefits of standard work.  The leaders of the group loved it!

This remains one of the simplest and most effective demonstrations of the value of standardized work in reducing variation and improving accuracy and efficiency.   Its virtue, too, is that people of all backgrounds can play the game together and find a commonality of experience.

No comments: