Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Goal Play!

I am pleased to announce the publication of my new book, Goal Play! Leadership Lessons from the Soccer Field.  Regular readers know that I am a bit of a fanatic about soccer -- well, more than a bit -- but you might not know that I have been coaching girls in our town for over two decades.  During that time, I also was privileged to have several leadership positions, and I often noticed parallels between what worked well in the two settings.

This book draws on a series of anecdotes from "the pitch" and ties them into my theories of effective leadership.  As in all such matters, I have benefited from the advice and experience of many others, and I am hoping that people who are in leadership positions -- or want to be -- can likewise benefit from my perspectives.

This is not your traditional business book, where you can read the introduction and skip the rest.  Each chapter has a rich mixture of stories, practice, and theory.  I hope you will find it engaging.  You'll find some reviews, including from some people you might know in health care, here.

In appreciation for the experience I have had coaching youth soccer, refereeing, and playing the game, I am donating a portion of the proceeds of the book to support the non-profit Massachusetts Youth Soccer GOALS program, “developed to provide a rewarding athletic and life experience to inner-city children throughout Massachusetts.”

It will come as no surprise to my readers that I have self-published this book, using Createspace.  That service provides a remarkable set of tools to any budding writer.  You can order the book here.  It will be available on Amazon in about a week.  

Some of you are in corporations, hospitals, or other organizations where you might find the book to be useful for your staff.  Please let me know if that is the case, and I can arrange a bulk discount.  Of course, I would be happy to come and speak to your company or institution about the book and my experiences on and off the pitch if you felt it would be valuable.

Please let me know what you think of the book if you read it.  The email for doing so, for bulk purchases, or contacting me about anything related to the book is goalplayleadership [at] gmail [dot] com.

8 comments:

Ryan E. said...

I must ask, which European club team do you support?

Paul Levy said...

You put me in a dangerous position, in that some people might be offended if I give the wrong answer!

That being said, of course I support Liverpool, now that the team is owned by the Boston Red Sox.

I hope and trust that this answer will not adversely affect book sales . . .

Elaine Schattner said...

Congratulations, Paul!

Doug said...

Bull’s-eye!!!! These lessons are the ROI for the seemingly unlimited financial and time investment we parents put out to see our kids participate in the greatest game in the world. I reflect on the parallels in life each week.

Ryan E. said...

YWNWA eh? Newcastle fan here. Real shame what has happened with Suarez and glad you paid a princely sum for the Ponytail. Looking forward to reading the book

Paul Levy said...

Thanks for your tolerance and understanding, Ryan!

clsmt said...

Any plans for an e-book?

Paul Levy said...

Coming soon on Kindle.